Cyril Esterhuysen, FICA
Money Laundering Reporting Officer, Acenden
1. How long have you worked in Anti Money Laundering and Financial Crime Prevention?
In excess of 12 years.
2. How did you land your first role?
I was Operations Manager for a FX Company. Deputy MLRO was added to my remit as it was sensible to ingrain the Compliance Oversight into the operations.
3. What do you enjoy the most about your role?
Managing or effecting change. An effective compliance culture or function is best measured by the conduct operations. Depending on the organisation, this does not happen overnight and often requires obtaining buy-in from other operational target driven departments. It is exceptionally rewarding when positive change becomes evident in business as usual activity.
4. What skills do you think you need for your type of role?
People Skills, Common Sense, Business Acumen; Expert knowledge your field and above all a very thick skin.
5. Do you have any advice for those looking to move into a career in Anti Money Laundering or Financial Crime Prevention?
If you ethically driven and want to make a positive difference then, this could be a good career path. Above all, you need to believe in what you are doing and what you hope to achieve. Build your required knowledge and your people skills.
6. What has been your career highlight so far?
Completing a full AML/Compliance audit following some regulatory / enforcement action (not at my current employer) ensuring the right systems and controls are in place.
Positively affecting the operations/sales process to ensure systems and controls and above all, a fair outcome for clients.