Clare Walker, FICA
Compliance Quality Manager, Simplyhealth
1. How long have you worked in compliance?
I have worked in the compliance arena for the last 16 years.
2. How did you land your first role?
By accident! I was looking for a change from being a supervisor in Customer Services but manager roles were several pay grades higher. A compliance role came up that was graded between the supervisor and manager role and I thought I would apply and see what happened and I’ve never looked back.
3. What do you enjoy the most about your role?
Working with the business and being able to make change happen, particularly for the customer.
4. What skills do you think you need for your type of role?
You need to be analytical, pragmatic and approachable, in fairly equal measure.
5. Do you have any advice for those looking to move into a career in compliance?
Look to see if you can do a secondment in the relevant department, nothing beats hands on experience and putting the regulations into practice within your business, coupled with formal qualifications.
6. What has been your career highlight so far?
Being asked to host the sales conference. There is often a healthy tension between sales and compliance, but I have always worked hard to ensure that I have a good relationship with my key stakeholders and I was delighted to be asked to play such a pivotal role in the event.